The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) regulates the manner in which organisations collect, use and disclose personal information. We are committed to handling your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the National Privacy Principles.
We collect personal information from or about you for the purpose of providing insurance services to you. Such services include but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluating your application for insurance;
- Evaluating any request you make to vary, extend or amend your policy;
- Issuing and managing the insurance cover we provide to you; and
- Investigating and managing any claims you make against your policy.
Typically, the information we collect may include your name, address, contact details, age, gender, declared medical conditions or other information which identifies you personally (personal information).
In most cases the information we collect about you is provided by you through various means (such as when you obtain a quotation for insurance or lodge a claim). By providing us with this information you are consenting to the collection, storage, use and disclosure of this information as set out in this Privacy Statement.
Occasionally, we will obtain information about you from other sources (such as our emergency medical assistance team, hospitals and medical practitioners or other insurers).
The personal information we collect can be used or disclosed for any purpose connected to these activities but only where you would reasonably expect for this to occur.
When necessary and in relation to the above noted activities, we (or our agents) may disclose your personal information to or request the same from:
- an insurance agent who is arranging your insurance;
- another person named as a co-insured on your policy;
- another insurer – for the purpose of confirming your claims history, seeking recovery from them or to assist with an investigation;
- an airline, medical practitioner, treating doctor or emergency assistance provider – to assess your fitness to travel;
- a family member – in case of a medical emergency;
- our Underwriters – who are located overseas;
- a related company or agent that provides computer hosting and support services, which may be located overseas;
- a records management company or technology service provider – for secure storage and management of our records;
- our related entities – so that we may offer you other products and services;
In the event of a claim against your policy, Go Insurance (or our agents) may also disclose your personal information to:
- an investigator, assessor, government authority, medical practitioners, hospitals and other professional advisers – to assist in investigating and assessing your claim;
- a recovery agent – for the purpose of recovering our cost;
- a lawyer – for the purpose of defending an action by a third party against you;
- to a witness – to obtain a witness statement;
- to another party in a claim – for obtaining a statement or recovery from them.