Australian’s Already Overseas

Australian Passport With the World map in the Background

Already departed Australia but still need travel insurance?

One of the most common enquiries Go Insurance receives is for Australians already overseas who need to arrange travel insurance. Perhaps you got so caught up in the excitement of your adventure that you forgot to purchase a policy before you departed or maybe you have extended your stay and your current insurer won’t allow you to extend your policy. It may even be that you are returning from a long stint abroad and need to insure your return journey home.

Go Insurance is proud to be one of the few Australian travel insurers who are able to offer travel insurance for Aussies who are already overseas.

Are there any catches?

You must be an Australian resident who is returning to Australia. We don’t offer cover for expats who have migrated overseas with no intention of returning to Australia.  Also, we don’t offer cover for situations like Aussies living in the UK who need cover for a quick trip to Croatia and back to the UK – if your trip doesn’t start in Australia, then it must end here to be eligible to purchase a one-way policy with Go Insurance.

For cover arranged to start when the traveller is already overseas, there is a 48 hour waiting period.  Once the waiting period has passed, cover is as per the terms and conditions of the Product Disclosure Statement.  Bear in mind too, that if you change your mind after purchasing a policy, the standard Cooling Off Period may not apply if there is less than 14 days between the date of purchase and the date the policy is due to start.  To secure a full refund, you must advise us that you wish to cancel the policy before the policy is due to start.

Do you need to have a return flight booked when purchasing a policy?

Not necessarily, although it makes selecting your end date a little easier. Provided that you intend to return to Australia at the end of the trip, we can offer insurance and provide you with one extension if your plans change. If you intend to stay overseas for more than a year without returning to Australia at all, then we don’t have a policy that will suit your needs.

If you do not have a booked return flight to Australia please be aware that in the event of a claim for cancellation/curtailment or medical expenses where repatriation is necessary, you will be required to contribute the cost of a one-way airfare toward the total claim and this is outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.

To purchase a policy, simply visit our homepage and enter your details to get a quote. When you are already overseas it is important that you select ‘One way’ and nominate your final destination as Australia.  The Region of Travel you select should be appropriate for where you will be travelling.  For instance, if you are in Europe, you should select “Worldwide excluding USA, Canada and Antarctica”.

Our friendly team is here to help you. You’ll find us on livechat between 9am and 4pm AEST Monday to Friday.  Alternatively, you can call us during Australian business hours on + 61 7 3481 9888 or email us on if you have any questions.

What Our Customers Say
Leave your Feedback.